Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Reasons Why your Bracket Might Have Sucked

Did you win your Bracket Pool? I came 4th. Watched quite a few of games this year and honestly, I'm sad the season ended last night.

Last night might have been the best final in recent memory. Maybe I'm biast a bit. I had UNC winning from Selection Sunday and I also don't really like Gonzaga that much either,

Here's what I'm trying to get at. I'm 23 and have been filling out brackets for about a decade and a half now. I feel like I have found a perfect formula to put yourself in a good position to win your bracket contest.

First you have to look at the scoring system. This will single handedly determine how you will fill out a bracket.

For instince, some websites like CBS, reward you with more points for picking a upset. The deeper the round the double the points etc etc. In contrast, ESPN does it differently. You get 100 points for a correct first round pick and each round it doubles. Therefore, advancing the best teams on paper is more of an incentive.

Yes, advancing the four #1 seeds to the Final 4 seems like a smart move. More than likely it will prevent you from finishing last. Is that fun though? I try to make my bracket seem realistic while at the same time pick a few upsets.

One thing I have learned over the years is you can't be a homer and pick the team you like most. It will bite you in the butt. I have done better of late with that.

The one thing I need to learn is too stop is not advancing the teams I don't like. This will also bite you in the butt. Filling out a bracket is great but in the moment some of these important things to remember are easily forgotten.

It is amazing how attached we get to our bracket as well. Favorite teams out of my timezone have emerged because of how attached I get.

I wouldn't have either way as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment