Saturday, May 2, 2015

My Life as a Sports Fan

Being a sports fan in Canada is not always the easiest. The sports landscape mainly focuses on Toronto sports and besides from Hockey and curling, most of them aren't covered wall to wall they way they are covered in America.

Growing up, my four favorite teams were the Vancouver Canucks, Vancouver Grizzlies, Seattle Mariners and Green Bay Packers. 

Doesn't seem like a bad combination, since 1993 (the year I was born) these teams have created 4 conference Champions with two Champions. (Packers in 1996 and 2010) It is too bad I was a bit too young to remember the 1996 Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers, but for some reason it doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because it doesn't seem right cheering for the Packers. It feels like an easy way out. Feels like I'm cheering for the Red Wings of the NHL or the Celtics of the NBA. Not like there is anything wrong with cheering for these teams but the Packers losing is just as painful and winning is not as rewarding. This could be because this team has a lot of history and I expect the Packers to go far in the playoffs every year. However, until there is a team that is unique to me, there is no point worrying about it. 

Unfortunately, not winning enough Championships isn't the main heartbreak I have. In 2001 the Vancouver Grizzlies vacated the city of Vancouver and headed to Memphis. In 2001 I think I was too young to care. I was still seven years old and at first they kept a similar logo and jersey pattern but since they have altered their colors slightly. Over the years, it didn't keep me from not seeing how they were doing but the team feels completely Memphisized now with their moves and playoff fever in Memphis. It isn't Vancouver's team anymore despite them still being called the Grizzlies. The Grizzlies signing of Vince Carter in the off season hurt because if the Grizzlies would have just drafted Vince Carter in the 1998 draft instead of Mike Bibby, the Grizzlies might still be in Vancouver.

The team I have watched a lot lately is the Phieniox Suns. Up until they traded a lot of their team at the trade deadline, they had a lot of players I enjoyed watching. In addition, I have also been to a game in 2009 that I had a lot of fun at. 

I would get into the Mariners debacle but I don't see the point. They divorced me from my enthusiasm of cheering for them and if cheering for a different team that keeps my stress level down like the Angels, I'm all for it. 

The Canucks have been the only team worth cheering for. Yes, the losing hurts but I love knowing they will always have something interesting going on in the media. No Stanley Cup in 45 years but that shouldn't take away from their remarkable era of hockey where they have made the playoffs in 11 out of the last 14 years.

Over the last few years, I have started to watch a lot of European soccer. Mostly watching the English Premier League and Champions League, I have noticed it is a great cultural experience. With relegation and promotion in the EPL, it makes the entire season so crucial on top of other things. The team I kinda like in the EPL is Tottenham Hotspur. They are knocking on the door of the Champions League but still seem a long ways away. The Spurs are also a big club so the threat of relegation is not very good.

Now that I have completed college I am hoping to be on blog spot way more often doing posts about what topics I feel comfortable with. I really enjoy the numbers of sports and the business side to everything therefore I am really looking forward to it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment